Last year, Forbes published a great article that details “How to Use Hashtags to Effectively Grow Your Business.” The article provides general rules of hashtags as well as specific suggestions for each social media platform.
Here are author Annemaria Duran’s rules to follow:
General Rules To Follow
When using hashtags, there are several rules to keep in mind:
1. In most cases, using many hashtags decreases interactions. Pinterest and Instagram are the exceptions to this rule.
2. Use local hashtags to build community awareness.
3. Use specific product or brand hashtags to create conversation.
4. Use search tools to see related hashtags and their popularity. Hashtagify.me is a free tool that can be used to view related hashtags.
5. Before you use new hashtags, make sure that you understand the existing meanings and uses of them to avoid offensive, controversial or demeaning ones.
This article is worth reading! She goes on to detail hashtag usage across the different social media platforms, but LinkedIn is likely the most helpful section for our readers:
“LinkedIn hashtags on mobile rolled out in the fall of 2016, but full desktop usage wasn’t available until the fall of 2017. LinkedIn content shows up in Google searches so using hashtags can put your posts in front of a larger audience. Another way to leverage hashtags on LinkedIn is to post them in comments on other posts or add them to your company page.”